The Global Salmon Initiative (GSI), has today launched it’s 2018 Sustainability Report which includes independently audited, sustainability data from New Zealand King Salmon (NZKS).
Transparency is a key component in driving change. By being transparent we are saying we are here for the long-term. We acknowledge improvements are still needed, and through transparency we are being open and truthful with ourselves and our stakeholders about our continuous journey in ensuring farmed salmon is a healthy and sustainable protein option for the future.” says Avrim Lazar, GSI Convenor.
Key trends from the Sustainability Report include:
- Farmed salmon continues to be one of the most eco-efficient forms of animal protein production
- In analyzing 6 years of data, a number of positive trends can be identified, such as:
- Over 620,000 tons of GSI farmed salmon are now Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) certified from over 185 farms worldwide, and represent almost 60% of total GSI members’ production.
NZKS is committed to attaining the ASC certification and we are currently going through the audit process.
The Global Salmon Initiative (GSI) is a leadership initiative established in 2013 by global farmed salmon producers focused on making significant progress on industry sustainability. Today, the GSI comprises 14 companies – representing approximately 50% of the global salmon production industry – that are fully committed to realizing a shared goal of providing a highly sustainable source of healthy food to feed a growing global population, whilst minimizing our environmental footprint, and continuing to improve our social contribution.
GSI member companies have a presence in Australia, Canada, Chile, the Faroe Islands, Ireland, New Zealand, Norway and the UK, and make significant contributions to the economies of these respective countries.
For further information on the GSI, please visit or make contact at:
- Website – globalsalmoninitiative.org
- Email GSI Secretariat – GSI@axon-com.com
- Twitter – @GSI_Salmon
- LinkedIn – Global Salmon Initiative
- Instagram – @GSI_salmon